Absent For A Bit ....

I am away for a little while working on a few or more episodes for The Adventures of My Space Alien Alter Ego story ... will return (to Earth) soon!

Notice: Blogger has screwed up and lost a bunch of photos out of my blog! They are replaced with a gray silhouette of a human head. I will eventually get them replaced with the correct photo, it may take a while to find and fix everything. So some of my stories don't make much sense without their photos, sorry for the inconvenience.

esbb

2016-02-14

Puzzle: Solve 6 + 4 = 4



I saw this puzzle on Facebook, and solved it by changing the 6 to a 0, to 0+4=4

Then someone else took a match from the + to change the 6 to 8, 8-4=4

Then another person changed the 6 to a 5 and then the right 4 to a 9, to 5+4=9

Then I thought about using other number bases besides base 10, and found this solution in base 9:

Change the right 4 by moving the horizontal piece, so that 4 changes to 11. Then 11 in base 9 equals 10 in base 10
6+4=11

8 comments:

fmcgmccllc said...

I am so worthless at math it is pathetic.

Rob Z Tobor said...

I have seen a few of these puzzles on Facebook, I seldom do them because some folk will not accept that there is more than one answer. I did once try and explain in one case that there were about four solutions that were correct, but I was told that I was not correct and that a sum cant have more than one answer. I am not sure that the majority of Facebook users are ready for base 9 yet, even I may need to have a little sit down and drink a cup of tea to recover from the thought.

Science tends to work in base 10 and I wonder if that is why the universe is still a bit of a puzzle maybe it is not a base 10 universe that we live in.

OK I really need that cup of tea now, I mean what if the universe is base 18 or something YICKS

esbboston said...

fmcgmccllc: I am not so sure this is math but more of a manipulation. I think about numerical, probability, molecular structure, physics and canine communication & happiness quite often. I am rather dog-centric.

Rob: The reason why there can be so many valid solutions is because you aren't trying to change both sides of the equation in the same manner, and it already starts off wrong. So maybe two wrongs don't make a right, but maybe one and a half wrongs make a left. Hope you are doing well, its acting like Spring here, a dry Spring with daytime highs in the 60-80's and mainly not freezing at night.

esbboston said...

Rob: If the Universe is 18 based then I would expect space aliens to have 9 digits on each hand IF they have two hands and symmetrical. But they could easily have other combinations, such as hands with 6 digits each.

Rob Z Tobor said...

Just a thought . . . E+9=4

esbboston said...

Rob: I am confused.

esbboston said...

I am tired and grungie from installing a hot water heater. I just now have hot water so the degrungification process can begin and I can rest. I did discover something VERY interesting to learn in the computer science world: Amazon Web Services -> cloud stuff

I have created one of their free accounts yet to test drive the process. You can have virtual servers, storage and databases. Right now I am watching several tutorials on YouTube.

esbboston said...

That was s'pposed to 'not yet'

New Blog for My Abstract Art ... Come Visit

Click HERE for the Art of Ernest S B Boston

These are pieces that I have generated mainly using computer art tools. Enjoy !

Something New:

I am also in the process of linking my poetry blog entries together. This project is only partially finished. A "Poetry LINK" at the bottom of the blog entry points to the next older piece of poetry.


First poem in the series of linked poems ....

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Blog Archive

My Art

These are some of my abstract art pieces. They are available as prints, send me a note if you are interested.

Couch Glow

Couch Glow

Gold As Smoke

Gold As Smoke

Flowing Wood

Flowing Wood