Absent For A Bit ....

I am away for a little while working on a few or more episodes for The Adventures of My Space Alien Alter Ego story ... will return (to Earth) soon!

Notice: Blogger has screwed up and lost a bunch of photos out of my blog! They are replaced with a gray silhouette of a human head. I will eventually get them replaced with the correct photo, it may take a while to find and fix everything. So some of my stories don't make much sense without their photos, sorry for the inconvenience.

esbb

2022-12-11

Dealing with the Natural Gas Company ... Multiple Times in One Day

I had a very stressful day dealing with the gas company on Friday because they didn’t properly check all of their equipment when I reported a failure. 

The technician entered my house and proved he had pressure inside my house by simply cracking the line connection at the water heater briefly. He stated that ..BOTH.. my water heater (nearly new) and furnace had failed at the same time, and he showed me how to replace the 'broken' part of my water heater. Then he left. 

I thought this was a bit mathematically interesting (probability-wise) to have two failures of equipment at the same time that use the same fuel source. 

So after a couple hours of pondering & safely experimenting, I came to the conclusion that it was a flow restriction problem in their equipment, and that the long line across my backyard acted as a reservoir between the house and the gas meter in the alley. 

After waiting a short while, the water heater, the smaller gas consumer of the two, would light and then run just fine. It ran for 20 minutes and made hot water as expected ..BUT.. just as soon as I tried to light the furnace, the water heater would immediately go out and wouldn't light ..AND.. if I didn’t wait long enough for the pressure to build back up, the water heater would light just fine, ..BUT.. then it’s flames were not very tall and it might go out altogether. So it appeared to be a dynamic problem. 

When the same gas tech was sent back after I carefully explained my discoveries to the technical support person by phone conversation, the gas tech was a bit snippy ..BUT.. he had already changed their equipment in my alley before he approached me. I tried to tell him what I did, my diagnostic thought process, but he kept trying to talk over me. So then we walked into the house, and sure enough, both the furnace and water heater lit up and ran normally. The tech was surprised, as he had never seen this happen before. (?) At least he had the failed equipment to take back to investigate. My guess is that a piece of debris had partially blocked the flow inside their regulator or meter. ..BUT.. if I had followed his original advice and blindly got plumbers and HVAC people involved, it could have cost me a lot of money in service calls and/or equipment replaced that didn’t need to be.

No comments:

New Blog for My Abstract Art ... Come Visit

Click HERE for the Art of Ernest S B Boston

These are pieces that I have generated mainly using computer art tools. Enjoy !

Something New:

I am also in the process of linking my poetry blog entries together. This project is only partially finished. A "Poetry LINK" at the bottom of the blog entry points to the next older piece of poetry.


First poem in the series of linked poems ....

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Blog Archive

My Art

These are some of my abstract art pieces. They are available as prints, send me a note if you are interested.

Couch Glow

Couch Glow

Gold As Smoke

Gold As Smoke

Flowing Wood

Flowing Wood