Absent For A Bit ....

I am away for a little while working on a few or more episodes for The Adventures of My Space Alien Alter Ego story ... will return (to Earth) soon!

Notice: Blogger has screwed up and lost a bunch of photos out of my blog! They are replaced with a gray silhouette of a human head. I will eventually get them replaced with the correct photo, it may take a while to find and fix everything. So some of my stories don't make much sense without their photos, sorry for the inconvenience.

esbb

2012-02-24

Does Baskin Robbins Have Pectinariidae Flavor?

Today I just learned (15 minutes ago) that there is a worm called the "Ice Cream Cone Worm".

From Wikipedia: Pectinariidae

Pectinariidae, or the trumpet worms or ice cream cone worms, are a family of marine polychaete worms that build sand tubes roughly resembling ice cream cones up to two inches long.


Pectinaria koreni (with and without tube)

Head is on the right side

© Hans Hillewaert / CC-BY-SA-3.0

To think that someone invented the ice cream cone without a proper name several years ago and then later a committee was sitting around thinking, what should we call this new dessert treat container? Then one of them with a biology background said, "I know, there is a worm called the ice cream cone worm, the Pectinariidae, that builds a sand tube that resembles our new cold food invention." And that is how the ice cream cone was not named.

The more you no.

Update: Someone told me that I was a "terrible and disgusting person for showing this picture. Now I have to wait several months before I have a cone." I thought about their comment for quite awhile and came to the conclusion that the picture is straight from wikipedia. Its just a worm that is part of the many things that live in the ocean. I didn't create the name for the animal, someone else did that. All I did was write a silly piece of humor where I twisted the order of events, a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" story punchline. But, "terrible and disgusting person" ? I am not sure about that one. I think I read and see far far worse material than this on other blogs on an almost daily basis.

It is never my intent to be terrible and disgusting. Dear Reader: I hope you recover in several weeks instead of several months.

I think I just created a diet. I think the sand tube looks more like a deep fried burrito or pie. There, maybe that makes me more terrible and disgusting, (???), not sure. That picture kind of reminds of sushi, but I never eat sushi, so I am not an eXpert. The second part of the picture also looks like several things you might see during a stroll down the meat market at my grocery store, lotza strange bizarre things there.

This reminds me of the latest advertising slogan of the Red Lobster Restaurant, "I See Food Differently".

3 comments:

Rob Z Tobor said...

Amazingly they discovered the Ice Cream Worm was first discovered as a small colony, after counting them it was discovered there were ninety nine of them living in the now famous Flake Bay. I think the naturalists who found them all celebrated with a mug of hot chocolate.

fmcgmccllc said...

Thank goodness I prefer waffle cones which are cooked, I really like my protein cooked.

Shelly said...

This pic kind of gave me the willies, but it really is fascinating on second look-

New Blog for My Abstract Art ... Come Visit

Click HERE for the Art of Ernest S B Boston

These are pieces that I have generated mainly using computer art tools. Enjoy !

Something New:

I am also in the process of linking my poetry blog entries together. This project is only partially finished. A "Poetry LINK" at the bottom of the blog entry points to the next older piece of poetry.


First poem in the series of linked poems ....

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Blog Archive

My Art

These are some of my abstract art pieces. They are available as prints, send me a note if you are interested.

Couch Glow

Couch Glow

Gold As Smoke

Gold As Smoke

Flowing Wood

Flowing Wood