Absent For A Bit ....

I am away for a little while working on a few or more episodes for The Adventures of My Space Alien Alter Ego story ... will return (to Earth) soon!

Notice: Blogger has screwed up and lost a bunch of photos out of my blog! They are replaced with a gray silhouette of a human head. I will eventually get them replaced with the correct photo, it may take a while to find and fix everything. So some of my stories don't make much sense without their photos, sorry for the inconvenience.

esbb

2012-01-17

I Will Be Your Wikkedpedia For A Day

I noticed this announcement at Wikipedia this morning:

Today, the Wikipedia community announced its decision to black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18 (you can read the statement from the Wikimedia Foundation here). The blackout is a protest against proposed legislation in the United States — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate — that, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia.

My Response: In order to help everyone I have made a backup copy of the EntirE Wikipedia database, so if you need an answer to a question, just send me your question and I will look it up and give you an answer. Just as there is no guarantee that anything in Wikipedia is correct, I would put VeRY little faith in the veRacity of the answer I will give you.

Update:

While saving an article for each letter of the alphabet, I saved "Igloo" for the letter "I". This of course caused me to write a dumb joke. So the dumb joke for today is a riddle:

What do you call a dirty bathroom of an eskimo?
.
.
.
.
Answer: An icky igloo loo

Update: More Details ..... By saving all of wikipedia I mean that for every letter of the alphabet I have saved one article. So I have 26 complete articles, A to Z, saved on my computer. Then if you ask me a question about some subject matter that begins with the letter P, for example Pennsylvania, I will go to my "P" article (which isn't Pennsylvania) and see if I can find a suitable answer from my "P" article. I won't automatically tell you what my P article is, and you can try to guess if you want to. I picked a mixture of some very common things AND some not quite so common things for each of the 26 articles. So if you are interested in playing along just ask me a question in a comment, and I will try to respond. As always, try to keep things G rated! I will try to make my answers amusing.

Update: I just tried wikipedia and its turned off BUT only in the English language version.

BUT interestingly enough there is a language called Simple English that is NOT turned off!!!

So I will give you a link that goes to the English Language article in Wikipedia using Simple English.

THEN if you type a request in the entry box near the top right, it will search in the Simple English database.

Link to Simple English

Update: Time 15:47  - I just now noticed that I forgot to close the window down for my "K" word, so I might be the only person in the entire universe right now that can read about K@ngr**s on Wikipedia in the regular English language version! Oh, wait, here's another open window from Wikipedia as well, this one about physicist St%ph%n H@wk!ng.

6 comments:

Julie Hutchinson said...

I was going to ask you for the wiki page on the history of pancakes, but I bet you're flooded with requests for wiki pages about much more important stuff and don't have time for such triviality.

TangledLou said...

Whew. I was so worried about how I would function without Wikipedia for a day. You have such foresight and thoughtfulness.

esbboston said...

Julie: I actually came very close to choosing Pancakes for my P article. I think it was because I wanted to make pancakes for supper 24 hours ago, but then got sidetracked and had something else later.

fmcgmccllc said...

It is good to know that if I get curious there is a Plan B.

MOV said...

Oh, I found this too late! The SOPA blackout thing is over, and I could've really used your help yesterday. *sigh* I was forced to just make up random facts and quote wikepedia anyway, because what were people going to do: check?

best,
MOV

esbboston said...

MOV MOV MOV, we don't need to let a little thing like TIME interfere with our fun, you can still pretend like Wikipedia is down and ask me questions. Big Sigh, because,

-gulp of sadness, manifested by three tears, one from left side two from the right-

no one else asked me a question (laying guilt trip on all my friends in the blog world)
during the Wikipedia blackout.

New Blog for My Abstract Art ... Come Visit

Click HERE for the Art of Ernest S B Boston

These are pieces that I have generated mainly using computer art tools. Enjoy !

Something New:

I am also in the process of linking my poetry blog entries together. This project is only partially finished. A "Poetry LINK" at the bottom of the blog entry points to the next older piece of poetry.


First poem in the series of linked poems ....

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Turn Gold Out of the Darkness

Blog Archive

My Art

These are some of my abstract art pieces. They are available as prints, send me a note if you are interested.

Couch Glow

Couch Glow

Gold As Smoke

Gold As Smoke

Flowing Wood

Flowing Wood